Archaeologists excavating an area in Margate, a seaside town in the district of Thanet in Kent, England, have discovered the remains of an Iron Age hill fort. The find came as part of an archaeological dig at the Margate Caves site.
The ancient fort remains were found in the area of the proposed ticket office of the centre.
Dr Paul Wilkinson, of SWAT Archaeology, said: "Margate Caves, also known as Vortigern's Cavern, are a set of galleries radiating out from a rectangular shaft. The chalk mine was probably worked between the late 17th and early 18th centuries."
|The fortification is thought to be part of a wider encampment, believed to have been a defensive position since |
pre-history through to the Napoleonic era [Credit: Dr Paul Wilkinson/SWAT Archaeology]
From 1835 until 1863 the caves went unused.
"They were then rented by a shopkeeper, John Norwood, who opened them to the public under the name of Vortigern's Cavern." Dr Wilkinson added.
"This enterprise was successful for some time but eventually closed, parts of the system being backfilled at this time. The caves were next opened in 1907 by Dr Prior, the vicar, who cleared and cut new shafts, eventually opening the caves to the public again after 1910."
"A new entrance was cut in 1914 for use of the caves as an air raid shelter. The caves reopened to the public after the war until 1938 when they were closed. The vicarage above the caves was destroyed in June 1941 and afterwards the entrance to the caves was bricked up. In 1958 James Geary Gardner again reopened the caves. They were again closed in 2004."
Author: Katie Davis | Source: Kent Online [February 20, 2018]